Simply Ono @ UH weekly menu
Simply Ono is one of the handful of non-Sodexho food venues on the UH Mānoa campus. They offer a varying weekly menu with some occasionally ambitious dishes. I find them to be kind of hit or miss, but some of their hits are pretty good, imo. E.g., seared ahi, lamb, prime rib/new york roast, “brontosaurus rib”, mushroom crab stuffed pork chop (real crab) . I’ve been less impressed with their calzones, pastas, and cooked fish dishes. If I’m going for something like the prime rib, I prefer the Biomed location where you probably have more choice over the cut. Also, it’s a little more out of the way, so less likely to run out of popular dishes.
Their menu is also available via the UH Mānoa Food Services site, but it’s a flash-only interface , so you can’t directly bookmark the menus *grumble*. Note that some of the other linked menus there may not be current. The Govinda’s menu provided is for October (of what year, I know not).
Micro reviews of some of their dishes I have tried:
- seared ahi: barely cooked exterior, basically sashimi inside, good value
- prime rib
- “brontosaurus” rib
- bbq baby back ribs
- rack of lamb/lamb chops
- veal chop w/ peppercorn sauce
- enchilada & spanish rice
- crab stuffed pork chop or thick cut pork chop
- spaghetti putanesca
- roast turkey
- tonkatsu: no longer crisp, slightly dry and tough
- quail stuffed with lup chong and barley
- cooked fish in general: overcooked
- pasta in general: school lunch type spaghetti noodles, often involves shredded cheddar(?)
- turkey jook: waaugh… super salty!